Sunday, February 12, 2012

First Post - Why I'm doing this

The most crucial question for me in beginning a blog is answering the following questions:

1. Why am I doing this?
2. What should the title of my blog be?
3. How should I start?




I decided to answer these questions with the following answers:

1. I’m doing this because I want to be creative by synthesizing my thoughts on various subjects and posting them in a public sphere. It’s okay if no one reads this, but the mere fact that it’s “public” makes me feel like it’s valuable and that I’m contributing.

2. I feel like my whole seminary experience (at Union Theological Seminary) is about me figuring out what the good life is. How ought I live? This question is, of course, closely related to how I view the universe. Is the universe against me? Is the universe indifferent to me? Is the universe something to which I can harmonize myself? Can the universe validate and recognize me? I agree with Hegel, who once said that the more he finds out about the universe, the more he finds out about God. I’ve already given up on the evangelical Christian view of God, but I’m still working out what view of God and the universe I’m working with.


3. I’ll start with this introduction. Well, then I’ll follow up with a short historical discussion of what the “good life” is through philosophers. Why NOT start strong? 

1 comment: